Wednesday, March 02, 2005

to my dearest darlings.. 03S70

Dearly beloveds: Oliver, Julia, Jasmin, Yonghui, Tze Hwee, Alice, Cindy, Baoxin, Gillian, Jackson, Michelle, Xiangjun, Sayo, Hui Lin, Adeline, Sijia, Wei Min, Melissa, Xinyi, Tiffany, Yunfei, San Mei, Yiling, Yunlei, Shuting and Yiwen:


Yes, before you and I know it, the results have crept up upon us. Excited? Nervous? Kancheong? Panicking? I would probably think most of you are in the last category, and I remember that I was too. But I DO believe you all WILL do well, my dears, because I know how hard you have worked and I know the truth of your calibre. Of course, there will always be thoughts of "but someone else (insert name) did better!" and "I COULD have done more", but my answer to the first is tt "yi1 shan1 zong3 bi3 yi1 shan1 gao1", and my answer to the second is "Of course." Hindsight is ever perfect; knowing what we do, now, we'd probably not have acted the way we did, then. But then again, that's life; I know all of you HAVE worked your reasonable best and will be rewarded.

Perhaps I could just share something with you guys - that sometimes, when God closes one door, it's for the purpose of not allowing us to go down a path that may not be the best for us. For me, I didn't have very good results, because I *really* didn't study as hard as I should have; I got ABBB and a C5 for GP. Sucks right? (as an aside, these would be fairly good results in many other JCs in Singapore, hor!) Well, that effectively dashed my hopes for being a doctor / lawyer, which were my two career considerations at the time. Not knowing better, I simply wanted to take up those courses because they were prestigious, and held the hope of making lots of moolah in future. But now, looking back, precisely because my results closed the doors to these two courses, I went into Science in NUS and discovered my calling for this season - to be a teacher. Yeah, many people would say my job is less-than-prestigious and encourage me to change career, but I really believe in what I am doing and that it makes a difference to peoples' lives. If you'd offer me the chance to be a doctor now, I would still be tempted; but I would go on in the knowledge that I've fulfilled my calling and purpose for the right season in my life. Of course, I'm not saying that you guys will end up like me - I believe many of you are more mature than I used to be, and desire the things you desire for a good and noble purpose beyond simple self-gratification. But for me, looking back, I realise it WAS actually a very good thing that my results 'forced' me into Science. I doubt I would be happier as anything else, and in any other place than I am now.

I might sound senseless to you, if you're not a Christian, but allow me to quote a verse, Romans 8:28:
"For we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, who are the called according to His purpose".

Amen.

Look forward, my dears, not with trepidation and fear, but with excitement that you are moving on to a new phase of your lives. And have the confidence that it WILL really all turn out okay in the end. 03S70 rocks!

Love,
Miss Wang

OH YES!!!! PS: 05S70 won the best blog competition! wahaha!

No comments: