Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I'M HYPERALLERGENIC!

Hyperallergenic.

Okay, whatever. I mean, yes, it should be hypersensitive, because that's what my immune system is! Sheesh!

Let's dwell on hypersensitivity, in the immune sense of the word, for a while.

When the immune system encounters a 'foreign invader', or pathogen, it mounts an immune response. This is all to the good, but what happens with MY immune system is that it mounts responses to all and sundry. To the point that my allergies are not even describable, and therefore labelled as 'atopic'. Well done.

So, the newest addition to my long list of symptoms:
Allergic conjunctivitis.

Right. Welcome, oh conjunctiva, to the realm of the anyhow-also-will-inflame.

Apparently, it's inherited together with allergic rhinitis (I also have), atopic eczema (check), and asthma (uh-huh). Congratulate me, I have the entire spectrum! Full penetrance in my case. Add to that food and drug allergies, and I'm SO surprised I'm not rejecting every molecule that floats my way. Sheesh.

So, back to my daily regimen of creams and eyedrops. I'm supposed to have pills and inhalers too, but I'm too lazy to partake. Nah.

Interestingly, allergies are a product of our times; in our sanitized urban environments, gone are the persistent low levels of exposure to environmental haptens that desensitize our immune system. Thus, upon exposure, we the cocooned over-react and come up with hypersensitivity-type reactions. Man. What I'm saying is, babes, don't keep your house too clean. I'll go home and tell my mother that too. Yayness. Perhaps it will save me from having to mop the floor next Chinese New Year.

Drat. We always say we need a thick skin and thin heart; I think both my heart and skin are too thin for my good. Drat! Drat my antigen-presenting cells! Drat my dendritic cells! ARGH!

And then lagi better. Not good enough an immune system to resist pimples.

*rolls eyes*

I hate my face.

No comments: