Sunday, February 13, 2005

MEEKNESS IS THE DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC OF THE GREAT.

I'm just rephrasing God's Word in my own language.

Thinking of Stephen Spender's poem The Truly Great, he emphasized how the world regards those who pursue their own dreams with vivid passion are regarded as "truly great"; in his worldview, those who lived their lives to fulfil their destiny should be lauded more than those who have amassed wealth, fame and fortune but in the doing denied the leanings of their soul.

It's a poem that's inspired me since the age of fifteen.

But yet, I feel that greatness is not only in the actions, it also is in the attitude. Because as much as the world defines "greatness", it can never compare to the way our Lord defines "greatness". Because we never focus on the destination alone, but also on the journey.

As always, attitude is decided in the mind. To be truly great, or as Pastor put it today, to be a "big person", the defining point is your character. Who cares if I never accomplish anything beyond what I have today? To base my worth on my acheivements or my ability to reach the goals I have set for myself would be a worldly and dangerous thing, for accomplishments fade away. It's so true that no one would remember the things you have done a hundred years down the road, but the way you treat people as you do the things you do is the thing that makes an impact. Instead, I must base my striving to be great on the way God defines greatness.

It's such a fantastic message, really, that I have no idea how to even begin talking about it. In a very summarized nutshell, here were the ten points Pastor Kong put forth:

1. Big people are generous. Isa 32:8
2. Big people are accepting of differences. (ie. not petty) Rom 14:1-2
3. Big people forgive and forget easily. 1 Cor 13:5, Isa 43:25
4. Big people empower others to be successful. (ie. do not belittle others to make yourself feel better)
5. Big people don't try to be big people (ie. humility and meekness, which stem from the absolute and certain understanding of your position in Christ) Mk 10:45, Jn 13:3-6
6. Big people treat little people well.
7. Big people listen (ie. take counsel and correction) Prov 1:5
8. Big people honour leadership and accept guidance. Obedience is SO important. (Heb 13:17)
9. Big people respect manners and spatiality. Lk 7:44-46; Lk 14:7-11
10. Big people have a big capacity. (1 Chr 26)

May I begin my wrapup by sharing a verse that came up: "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted" - Luke 7:11

To me, the chief thread tying all the points together in the sermon is the thread of humilty and meekness and knowing your own position. In order to be able to do so, you must be someone who's absolutely secure in your position - you know where you came from, you know where you are going, and you know your reason for living - truly, you must be strong in order to be meek. Even Jesus Himself did not come to be served but to serve - and He was able to serve with full willingness because He bore the perspective of obedience to His God in mind.

May I learn to be a meek, mild and humble person ever more each day.

No comments: