Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Busy Busy

Had been busy over the past 2 weeks.. oh boy..

1. Trying out for MWL's Design Team
In the end, I did not make it in but I am glad I tried. Seeing the other scrappers' efforts really made me feel way out of my league! I had no time to do up the full 3 LO and project and simply made 1 new piece and resubmitted the others which I have sent in before. Oh well!!

Here is the LO for MWL's DT call:
Priceless

Part of the call was to use Sizzix die cuts on the layout. I don't have a big shot machine, so got a pack of die cuts from the store that consisted of artisan shape (yay) and flowers!

Artisan die cuts used on the photos as either frame or backing. I coated the "ghost" of the artisan diecut with June Bug Broken China paper and did blanket stitch around the interior of the "frame". The solid shape was inked with Faded Jeans distrees ink and used as a photo backing; and the artisan frame shape was used both to frame the last photo and to journal in my chicken scratch handwriting.

Flower die cuts used as.. well.. flowers!! They were variously inked with different distress inks (Faded Jeans, Mustard Seed, Burnt Marmalade and Worn Lipstick), used rubons, or left raw white in order to bring "contrast" to the other layers. I cut out the "ghosts" of the diecuts of the 2 largest flowers for use as well.

Journalling:
On the artisan frame:
That day, you woke up crying from your sleep. And when I reached down to comfort you, you grabbed on so tightly and did not want to let go - giving this precious picture against my chest. June 2009

On the white strips of paper:
One pack of 64 L size diapers:
$16.65
One tin of formula milk (900g) per week:
$23.80
One Pumpkin Patch dress set that's just so cute:
$39.90
Countless number of toys, books and paraphernalia:
$ hundreds
(or more)
Half an hour of a warm, soft weight on my chest:
Priceless
(haha inspired by the old VISA ad!)

Papers - Junebug Broken China, Daydream & Orange Swiss Dot Doilies
Alphas - AC Rainboots Puffy
Embellies - Junebug Pops, rubons, Riff Raff Designs Encircled, "A Priceless Photo" tag from Daisy D's Favourite Photos diecuts.

I felt I did not put in my best effort for the MWL DT call because I was also involved with #2 below.. which is something infinitely more important..

2. Fundraising for Charmaine
Here's the linky to what we're doing: http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/2693587.html?1248767809

Charmaine Lim Fan Xi is a 4 year old suffering from neuroblastoma who needs to go to New York for a treatment to double her chances of survival. In the short time that her story has been made known to the public, various avenues of donations, charity events etc have raised the initial $500,000 sum as the downpayment for the treatment in NYC. This Thursday, she will be flying over to begin her course of treatment.

Now, she needs money for the remainder of the estimated treatment bill, which is still unknown.

The SB mummies in SMH are collecting donations for her by making cards, layouts, mini albums etc for sale. So far, we have collected over $400 and more on the way hopefully! As I'm coordinating the effort, I've spent a lot of time setting up the thread, writing replies to enquiries, updating the flickr album with pictures of our works as samples. Of course, as well as taking on the projects to be done. I've so much orders on hand that I've even taking to doing my cutting on the bed while breastfeeding Zoe!! Haha!!

You can see our works here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40329816@N06/

Do support if you are able! =)

No comments: