Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sha Jia!

Last year when Sophie was born, I was introduced to a brand of diapers called Goo.N from an online site by the SMH forum. It cost $13.80 for each pack, no matter which size of pack you buy.

The sizes I bought were NB58 and S63, which meant a price per diaper of $0.238 and $0.219 respectively. That's very reasonable for a price of diaper and the quality was good too. They even do free home delivery for orders above $60 so I happily bought 5 packs back then.

I recently had the idea to go back to their site and order more of the same for Zoe. However, I was shocked to see that the price has not only increased to $18.80 per pack - increase of $5, or 36.2% per packet! - the pack size for the S size diaper has dropped drastically from 63 pieces to only 52 pieces.

So now, that makes it $0.324 per NB size diaper (increase of almost $0.10 per piece from previously, a 36.1% increase per diaper) and $0.362 per S size diaper (a whopping almost $0.15 per piece increase, equivalent to 65.3% increase per diaper OMG!), in about 1 year. I can't think of any other product that has increased price so much in comparison, except rice and petrol! Hmm, and I don't think rice or petrol went into the making of these diapers..

Gosh! This is really.. Sha Jia lor! It is super much LESS worth it to buy these diapers now. In fact I think it maybe even cheaper to buy normal supermarket brands on promotion than to get these Goo.N anymore.. Normal price for a diaper from Pampers or Mamy Poko is about $0.35-$0.38, so I would wait for any promo and then dive in to buy!

Yes, I am aunty enough to go and "ji jiao" over these few cents difference.. but it adds up to a LOT! Newborn can go through 10-12 diapers a day and even now Sophie goes through about 5-6 diapers daily. Adds up to a difference of at least $1 a day, $30 per month leh! Enough to buy Sophie or Zoe one additional tin of formula milk a month hor!

No comments: