Sunday, January 25, 2009

018: When I was just a little girl / CNY pressies

Again did the LO in response to MR's challenge #3.

Conditions for challenge:
Photo :
  • use PAST DATED photos (photos that have been laying around for ages !! its about time to scrap them)
  • at least 1 black & white coloured photos (no limitation to how many photos to be use on the layout, but at least 1 have to be in B&W)

Materials :

  • cardstock as the background / base layer
  • circles (from punches / die cuts / rub ons / buttons / pattern papers or even buttons to brads to eyelets etc.) Create circles on the layout
  • usage of ribbons (it comes with almost every kits we are sub to)
Very much wanted to do a photo of myself as a baby together with one of Sophie's photos are compare how alike we are.. but there is NO photo that I have of her that looks like any of mine.. Hmph.. I guess proving the truth of everyone's opinion that she looks much more like her dad that me.

Alright, so here is what I did:

I used photos of myself when I was a little girl (from baby to about 2 years old) and printed them in black and white. Thanks to my Uncle Toney who has a habit of scanning old family photos, else I would not have been able to get the B/W shots. Maybe I should make that my project for the next long holidays (read: maternity leave after Zoe), to scan in old photos.

Because I did this LO after school start, I only get to work on it for a very short time each day (like 15-30 mins). So it sat on my table for really long, like more than 1 week! I guess thats the problem with doing a little each day, the total time spent adds up to more than what it would take have I done at one shot.. because I have to spend time remembering where I have placed the embellishments/glue/tape etc that I was using halfway the night before. Having a sieve-brain from being pregnant does not help!

I think the top part (with photos) and bottom part are, like, mega different!
Sequence of doing:
1. Top part with photos (mounted the photos on white paper to make them look more "vintage"
2. Bottom right hand with tag, layered flowers and stamp
3. Bottom left hand with journalling strips and title.

And the longer the unfinished LO sat on my table, the more "sian" I am to get it completed and hence the lesser and lesser details!
Obvious isn't it??

Details:
I love the look of the "layered" flowers~ I am going to do it more often in future LOs~!
I've always thought layered flowers means putting on many layers of flowers themselves, but this time I used circular paper cutouts, pearl strips, Stickles, brads and buttons in addition to normal flowers, and it looked really good.

Credits: K & Company Wild Saffron brads, Just Corina Fancy Felt Matties, Prima Voila Felt Strips, Prima Say it in Crystals Swirls in red/yellow (I love this colour combi!) lace doily paper from Vivian, various assorted paper / fabric flowers from Bazzill, Prima and Making Memories, transparent flowers and pearl strip from Sophia, Stickles in Scattered Straw and Ruby Slippers, Bird tag from Tiffany, deer chipboard from Sassafrass Lass Woodland Creatures, gemstone flower brads from KCK, lace ribbon from Making Memories, fonts from Cosmo Cricket Vintage and Making Memories Heidi rub-ons.

I've also done up some gift packs for my ushers for CNY..
Should have taken the step by step photos but I didn't as I was in a huge hurry.. anyway here are the steps:
1. Cut out 2x2 inch squares from white, pink and red cardstock
2. Stamp using red ink on approx 2/3 of the cardstock. I used white and pink cardstock for this.
3. Fold stamped pieces into half lengthwise
4. Staple the stamped pieces over the tops of the small ziploc bags used to contain sweets (mine were 2x3 inches)
5. Print out greetings on normal A4 and cut into 4 inch long strips (mine said Happy NIU Year 2009 - Huiming)
6. Stick the greetings over the top of the stapled portion in order to cover the staples
7. Punch out scalloped circles from the remaining 1/3 of the cardstock. I used mostly red and some of the pinks for this. I used 2 different size of scallop circle punch:
- a smaller 1.5 inch one to create the solid scalloped circles
- a larger 2 inch one punched on the "leftover" part of the 2x2 inch squares to create the "hollow" scallops
8. Stick on the scalloped circles over the part where the 2 ends of the 4 inch long greeting strips meet to cover the joining
9. Stick flowers on the top of the scalloped circles
10. Top off with a button.

Punches from Fiskars, flowers from Kaiser Craft, buttons from Autumn Leaves Techno Pop Bag of Buttons, and stamp from 7 Gypsies Nottinghill.

No comments: