Friday, July 20, 2007

It's the same everywhere

Act 1, Scene 1.

Ming’s room, ulugamalated Yew Tee.

Mum : Do you want X.

Ming : No thank you.


(5 minutes later)

Mum : Do you want X.

Ming : No thank you.

Mum : Really.

Ming : No thank you very much.

Mum : Why not?

Ming : I just don’t want it, OK?

(5 minutes later)

Mum : Here’s X (places X on table).

Ming : But I said I didn’t want it!

Mum : Well I want you to have it. And I already made it and brought it here! Take it, you should appreciate my effort. (stomps off huffily)

Ming : … OK, whatever. (defeated).

[and we all wonder why ming is fat.]

Act 2, Scene 1.

Two places, Yew Tee and Upper Thomson. Dialogue takes place via sms.

Mum : Do you want X.

Ming : No thank you.

Mum : Do you want X.

Ming : No thank you.

Mum : Really.

Ming : No thank you very much.

(10 minutes and a barrage of 10 smses later in which the level of Huffiness is becoming More and More Apparent in Mum’s tone)

Ming : … OK, whatever. (defeated)

Couple this with the deadly emotional blackmail missives of

“why-didn’t-you-reply-my-sms-I-was-so-worried-about-you”, “can’t-you-just-leave-your-meeting/service/class-to-return-my-call”, which leads to

“you-don’t-want-to-listen-to-me-anymore” and finally the dreaded

“you-don’t-love-me-anymore”,


Or how about the circular tirade of “you’re-not-happy-right”, “tell-me-why-you’re-not-happy”, and “am-I-wrong-in-giving-you-this?” “so-why-are-you-not-happy”

and you see why it always ends on defeat in my part.

Sometimes I wish I’d never taught my mother how to sms.

No comments: