Thursday, October 05, 2006

Official web blog

..ptoooey.

*spits cobwebs from the blog out of mouth*


ah. Saw this pamphlet the other day at a juice shop at the newly-opened Raffles Marketplace extolling the virtues of wheatgrass juice. Classic example of blurb without content. Here goes..

(ad libbing, I lost the sheet, but the meaning's ALL there)
"Wheatgrass seeds grow by a process known as 'sprouting'..
(Hmm, and all other species of seeds grow by which process? Never mind! Let's explain the meaning of "Sprouting!")

".. where seeds grow into sprouts."
(I could NOT have told from the name. Perhaps a description of the differences between seeds and sprouts would help?)

"Sprouts are seeds with a stalk.."
(Point taken.)

I couldn't resist and read on, the passage went on about "enzymes, proteins and amino acids" without ONCE specifying the types and names and specific functions. Sheesh.

What a state of advertising we have in Singapore today. Wonder how many people are impressed by the long official and scientific sounding stuff?

Wonder whether I have myself been taken in by such blurb in areas that are not my expertise?
(Cheerful thought of the day!! Woo!)

Forbidden City


Finally, after x number of runs, where x is the number it takes for everypersun in the country to watch a musical, I brought my mother to Forbidden City: Portrait of an Empress. I didn't realise how literal the name was, being an account of some womyn commissioned to Beijing to take a portrait of the Empress Dowager Cixi. Apart from the side-tales of love, betrayal, improbability and really laughable scribes, what struck me most was the set - a huge white chinese foldable screen that served to portray a chamber, a wall and a scene of desolation. Props to the propsmaster, pun intended, for creative use of stagespace.

No comments: