Monday, March 13, 2006

Food review: Carl's Jr


Finally made it to the much-talked-about Carl's Jr burger chain for dinner yesterday. I have been wanting to try it ever since last year when it first opened but never got the chance as their outlets are all in real ow-ta places (read: Out of ta Way) like Raffles Place and Marina! It is also a sister chain / reincarnation of Hardee's, you can see from the logo and food choice. I remember being crazy over Hardee's roast beef burgers when I was a kid. Used to ask my mum for Hardee's every time we went to Parkway Parade. =P

The food choice there is not very wide, I must say, with almost all the burgers looking the same.
I think in Singapore we are underpriviliged - we only get the non-interesting burgers. The menu in US outlets is positively enough to make your eyes pop for variety! Portobello mushroom burger.. wow.. And aside from the fact that the burgers are really huge, they do not seem more flavourful or ingredient-packed than say, Burger King. The price is also much more expensive; a double bacon cheeseburger meal cost $11. I had a single bacon cheeseburger meal and it set me back $8.

At Carl's Jr, they do not believe in under-feeding people. All 4 of us (Eugene, Alan - YES, ALAN!, Juan and I) were hard-pressed to finish up even ONE of the packets of fries that came with our meals. And the drinks and sauces are free flow.. In another words, be smart, if you go to Carl's Jr with your friends, have one person order the meal and the entire table can share the fries and drink. Juan had just bought herself the new just-launched Casio Exilim Z60 from the IT show at Suntec and we spent a lot of time photo-whoring. See Juan's blog for details, if she does decide to put them up. =)

Conclusion: WIll I go to Carl's Jr again? Maybe. If I have been fasting for 3 days, there is no other fast food chain in sight and I have lotsa moolah to spare. Sheesh.

As an aside! An engineer's view of burger:
I wonder if the burger-making staff in the fast food chains really follow this kind of specific plans. Ha..

No comments: