Tuesday, February 07, 2006

fungi are sprouting in the corners

Yah, ok, spiders are having the best time weaving webs on my blog... Fungi are sprouting in the corners and the dust is one inch thick. Too bad.. School term started, what to do?? NO TIME.. to eat, to sleep, to shop, to blog.. =(

My computer at home is finally working again. Thanks to the talented computerman who fixed the hard disk.. and thanks to my dear for the new monitor. And true to form, my mum immediately jumped at the chance to play her fav games on the comp. Haha.. Hm, having my computer working will lead to me having more late nights.. Because I won't be able to resist surfing the net. Hah!

This year, one of the things on my wishlist is a portable hard disk. So that I can store the stuff I need to do.. Otherwise I cannot work at home without all the data I need. One set of lecture notes alone can go up to 20-30MB with all the pictures.. Saying nothing of the pictures, PDB files, PDFs and PPTs which come as accessory readings. Thumb drive is not even enuff to store ah.. Shall go down to Sim Lim one day and see. =)

I'm also getting hair cutting urges again. Heh. And hair dyeing urges. But as usual I need to save money. W-I-L-L-P-O-W-E-R.. argh..

I'm inspired by esther's blog to do a blogskin for littleprince. That shall join my longlong list of blogskins-waiting-to-be-made.


ok time to go for class.. but before i run.............................. a nice inspiring story for all teachers out there:

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.
One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued:
"What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in
life was to become a teacher?" He reminded the other dinner guests that
it's true what they say about teachers: "Those who can: do. Those who
can't: teach."

To corroborate, he said to another guest: "You're a teacher, Susan," he
said. "Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation of honesty and frankness, replied, "You
want to know what I make? I make kids work harder than they ever thought
they could. I can make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor
and an A- feel like a slap in the face if the student did not do his or
her very best.

"I can make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute
silence. I can make parents tremble in fear when I call home. You want to
know what else I make?"

"I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize. I
make them apologize and mean it. I make them write. I make them read,
read, read. I make them spell 'definitely' and 'beautiful' over and over
again, until they will never misspell either one of those words again. I
make them show all their work in math and hide it all on their final
drafts in English. I elevate them to experience music and art and joy in
the performance, so their lives are rich, full of kindness and culture,
and they take pride in themselves and their accomplishments. I make
them understand that if you have the brains, then follow your heart...and
if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you pay them no
attention."

"You want to know what I make? I make a difference. And what do you
make?"

No comments: