Monday, November 21, 2005

Forbidden!

Forbidden

You were denied access because:

Access denied by SmartFilter content category. The requested URL belongs to the following categories: Entertainment/Recreation/Hobbies, Games.

______________________________________________________________

What the heck.. I can't believe school is clamping down on this too!

First, I can't access sites on abortion (for my lecture notes!) from school because of the gory and graphic content.

Now, I can't access quiz sites or games sites. Gosh.

Come on, what am I supposed to occupy my time with during the holidays when I'm waiting for my students to finish their activities so that I can go home?
What am I supposed to do when I am waiting for students to come see me for remedials and I have nothing else to do?
What am I supposed to do when I simply need a break?

I feel ridiculously restricted by these moves. No idea who's initiated it, but like every other restriction, it is unspeakably frustrating.
Things like not being able to install programs on my laptop.
Things like being locked out of the staffroom on Saturdays or during holidays when there is CCA. Even though I have to be back in school, there's no place for me to go and I end up having to squat in my students' CCA room for the whole sweltering day.
Things like not being able to access certain websites that are not even particularly risque or gory. Just that they happened to trigger some nanny program which summarily bans them.

Hello, people use nanny programs to police what their young impressionable children, who do not know better, read on the net right? For goodness sakes, we are mature adults who have the sense to prioritize and know the appropriate thing to do.

I wonder what's next..
No more reading of blogs?
No more accessing private emails?
No more accessing sites that are not expressly related to education and subject-based content matter?

Sheesh.

I am not frustrated because I love playing games so much.
But because I feel as if I am being treated as if I don't know how to live my life.

No comments: