Monday, September 19, 2005

Birthday blog!

It's time to blog about my weekend! Yes, my happy, fattening and tiring weekend.

On the 16th, Friday night, my parents booked a room in Orchard Hotel.

Room number was 1503, a tiny but cosy room. My daddy even bought me a flower! whoohoo!

Had dinner at Hua Ting restaurant on the 2nd floor of the hotel.

it SERIOUSLY rocks! Hm, there was braised pork neck in claypot (very good), beef tenderloin rolled in chopped walnuts and served with plum sauce (the highlight of the night in my opinion), french beans with deep fried golden mushrooms (the one disappointment of the dinner, because it was so normal), and e-fu noodles with shredded preserved vegetables, chinese mushrooms and pork slivers. Salivate, anyone? I probably should develop the habit of bringing my camera around and taking pictures of food dishes so I can post them up and save myself the descriptions. That is SO like my uncle - when he came to Singapore in March, he took pictures of literally every food item, including fruits, cheng teng, ice jelly etc. Ha!

To top the dinner off, we walked to Hui Lau Shan down the road for mango pudding and mango ice cream. Yummy..

After that, I did something I really enjoy - went to Borders and stood there and read books simply for the sake of reading. Reading has been a joy all my life but too often I end up reading things because I have to and not because I want to. Oh well, two hours of pure unadulterated silly reading pleasure, all the way till midnight, was therapeutic! I read a silly book called 'Granny' and then started on another called 'Empress Orchid' by Anchee Min. The 2nd book was good but I didn't have time to finish.. darn.. I will go back to Borders to finish reading it someday.

For lunch on my birthday itself, I met G at Holland Village and we ate at Original Sin.

Goodness, I never knew vegetarian food could be so good! On the menu: Capri, which is a dish of roasted zucchini, eggplant and portobello mushrooms on a bed of herb mashed potato and tomato-based sauce, as well as a Mezze plate, which was pita bread with hummus, yoghurt, eggplant and pumpkin dips.



Stuffed till full full, and went to walk around Holland Village. Also another of the small things I enjoy in life - being able to walk around with no agenda in particular and not have to rush here, there and everywhere. G got me flowers also.. hey hey! Must have taken a leaf out of my dad's book..

Fast forwarding to Sunday night, where we had more food at Chomp Chomp. I went after church with Wenhui, Beatrice, Eugene, Jeremy, Matt Loh, Matt Teo, Esther, Hui Erl, Rachel (Mrs Loh), Rachel (YW), Yew Weng, Alex Yiu. Again, ate until silly. Sugar cane in giant glasses, satay, chye tow kway, fried rice.. yummy.. they also called dumplings, or lua, sambal kangkong and a whole host of other things that I couldn't / was too full to / was too tired to eat. *slurp*.. I wanted to try the tow huay too, but no space.. sheesh. Kenna scratched by a large cat with a long tail which kept on lurking around under our table. Fortunately I was wearing jeans or else there would be more than one scratch. Ivory ah.. I don't know how you can tahan 50 and Ke-ai! aiyoyo!

Okei. Enough about all the food I ate. Time to get to work, to dieting, and to losing all those calories!

No comments: