Sunday, October 24, 2004

les mis

on my own
pretending he's beside me
all alone
i walk with him till morning
in the darkness
i feel his arms around me
and when i lose my way i close my eyes and he has found

in the rain
the pavement shines like silver
all the lights
are misty in the river
in the darkness
the trees are full of starlight
and all i see is him and me for ever and for ever

i love him
i love him
i love him
but only on my own..

~on my own, eponine, les miserables


a little fall of rain
can hardly hurt me now
you will keep me safe
and you will keep me close
and rain will make the flowers grow

~a little fall of rain, eponine, les miserables

i love les mis. oh no, i'm in my literary alliterary mood again! help! ahming flips at her own ability to remember lyrics from songs last heard perhaps five years ago? haha..
but seriously. i find that i empathize with eponine more than any other character in les mis.. certainly not cosetted Cosette, or the limpid and languid male protagonist whose name i can't even remember. i recall there was a brave young boy too, who got killed like eponine; and jean valjean, together with javert. oh dear, why do all my favourite characters end up dead?? haha.. it's the nature of the show one presumes, LES MIS eh.. (btw the miserables doesn't really mean miserable people.. a more accurate translation would be 'the poor oppressed'..)


*continued days later..*

as i reread my last post i snort at my preferences. hah, why do i always empathize with the underdogs? more accurately, why do i always empathize with the tragi-protagonists of the play? maybe because there's more action to be had; i've never fancied the type of person who sits around and does nothing. i believe destiny lies in the hands of one who works for it and does not 'shou3 zhu1 dai4 tu4' (that means wait by tree for rabbit, not guard pig robber.. -_-\) perhaps i identify with those characters more too?



i am not just a pretty face
i will not stay boxed up in place
i desire, i yearn and i strive to move on -
and on
and on
and on.
even though
the goalposts of my life are shrouded in shadow
faith will carry me through
and one day,
i will
emerge.


my ascent may be slow
and every step plagued with weariness; but
You will keep me safe
and You will keep me close
and tears will make the flowers grow

No comments: